Other than Banff National Park, Bragg Creek is a great option for an outdoorsy day trip from Calgary. This includes chasing waterfalls, beautiful Rocky Mountain views, day hikes, mountain biking, picnic, and more. Keep on reading to find out about all the things to do in Bragg Creek Alberta.
Things to do in Bragg Creek Alberta
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. If you click one of them, we may receive a small commission at no extra cost to you.
Bragg Creek is a small town/hamlet in Alberta. Due to its location, Bragg Creek hamlet along with the provincial park becomes a delightful idea for a day trip from Calgary.
Getting to Bragg Creek from Calgary
- Calgary to Bragg Creek is 45 kilometres away from the downtown area (40 minutes)
- Edmonton to Bragg Creek is 337 kilometres (3.50 hours)
Visit Bragg Creek Provincial Park
Bragg Creek Provincial Park is a provincial park located in Alberta’s Rocky Mountains. This park is located near the Elbow River, on the eastern edge of Kananaskis Country.
The park was featured as a top filming location on CBC’s television series – North of 60, and is a great option for those looking to spend a day or the weekend in the lap of nature – hiking, biking, picnicking, fishing or golfing! No entry fee at the provincial park.
Admire Elbow Falls
Elbow Falls are located on the west of the hamlet of Bragg Creek and are small waterfalls along the Elbow River. It has a height of 6 metres (20 ft) drop. It belongs to the Elbow Falls Provincial Recreation Area, in Bragg Creek.
The waterfalls are beautiful to look at, and it is a great visit in the summer and winter. During summers you can walk around the marked trails and viewing platforms to admire the gushing falls from up close.
You will find a ton of Instagrammable photography spots from the Elbow Falls site. You can visit the site in winter as well, as the roads are accessible. Just remember that the viewing platforms will be slippery and filled with snow.
You can easily spend 2 – 3 hours embarking on short hikes, or 10 kilometres day hikes.
Picnic at the Elbow Falls Provincial Recreation Area
Near the Falls site, there is a day-use area, which is perfect for picnics, or family outdoor trips in the summer. The day-use area has picnic tables and a washroom within the recreation area.
If you are looking for overnight camping, there are options available at nearby campgrounds in Bragg Creek.
Hike Elbow Falls/Valley Area
As part of your day trip from Calgary, you can embark on a short or a day long hike in the Elbow Falls/Valley area in the summer. Good news is that the easy Elbow Falls Interpretive trail is wheelchair and stroller accessible.
- Elbow Falls Interpretive – easy hike – 0.8 km – it is also wheelchair accessible
- Elbow Valley – 10 km one way – access by hiking, cycling, or horse back riding
You can download trail maps at AllTrails apps or any MEC store. Or visit Elbow Valley Visitor Information Centre for more details when you are in the area.
Go biking, or horseback riding through Elbow Valley or West Bragg Creek Area
One of the fun things to do in Bragg Creek in the summer is to go biking in the valley. It is perfect for beginners to advanced mountain bikers. Bragg Creek area has both flat and easy trails to rugged mountain terrain.
As a beginner or casual biker, opt for the 8 km TransCanada Trail along the West Bragg Creek Road for some stunning views. Go biking with friends or family with kids and soak in those amazing mountain views, and stop and smell the flowers and farms along the way.
As a mountain biker or speed biker, Bragg Creek will delight you. There are quite a few scenic roads to travel on here. You can explore current/accessible road rides on Bragg Creek & Kananaskis Outdoor Recreation site
Bragg Creek is also home to 200 kilometres of ATV Trails, with fantastic valleys and mountain views. Moose Mountain Horseback Adventures provides horse riding packages.
Hang out at the Forget me not pond
Forget me not pond is a small recreational area, located just past Elbow Falls in Kananaskis. This pond is best for picnic and to soak in those amazing views.
This cute little place is perfect for BBQing with friends and family. You can easily park your car in the parking lot located nearby. Its uniqueness is that this place is super scenic and it’s all for free for you to take in those gorgeous views and snap pretty pictures.
You can also swim at the pond, if you don’t mind the super cold temperature. Or paddle on the Forget-Me-Not Pond. Many visitors enjoy kayaking or bring in inflatables to lounge around on the pond.
Embark on the Cowboy Trail
The coolest Cowboy Trail features horseback trail rides, with many themed attractions to choose from, for your vacation. From historic sites, western-themed adventures, and farm and ranch vacations, your stay here will be full of entertainment.
The Cowboy Trail is a 700 kilometres route along Highway 22, and this is an amazing weekend trip idea. You can stay at a ranch and experience horseback trail ride and explore Alberta’s backcountry. More about the Cowboy Trail here
Golfing in Bragg Creek Alberta
One of the things to do in Bragg Creek Alberta is golfing. Wintergreen Golf and Country Club is one of the finest, and is tucked into the foothills, with great views.
Redwood Meadows Golf and Country Club, is another great option for golfing. It is owned and operated by the Tsuu T’ina Nation, and has been recognized as one of the Western Canada’s finest. Head there to soak in the greens in the midst of the winding Elbow River!
Have fun at the Bragg Creek Paintball
Reasonably priced and a fun place to spend a few hours, you won’t be disappointed at the Bragg Creek Paintball Field. They have many outdoor activities, including special events every Thursday. Find out more about their timings and prices
Pig out at Bragg Creek Centre
After all the activities in Bragg Creek, head to the main centre for some delicious food. You won’t believe this little town has Bavarian and Italian food, along with ice-cream parlours and cafes. Here are the most popular places to eat and pig out in Bragg Creek
- The Italian Farmhouse – Features Italian food in a cozy warm setting. Order local cuisine along with Italian and Canadian dishes. There are vegetarian and vegan options available. Checkout timings and menu here
- Bavarian Inn – The Bavarian Inn is an amazing award-winning German food place, it is so worth the drive from Calgary. Dishes are moderately priced at $10 to $35 CAD, and they have a great selection of ice-cold brews-traditional German beer with Central European, Austrian and of course German dishes on the menu. Find out more here
- Cinnamon Spoon: The Cinnamon Spoon is one of our favorite cafes in Bragg Creek. Grab a Nanaimo bar, with a latte or London Fog. Their sandwiches and wraps are super filling. Check them out here
- Bragg Creek Coffee & Baking Co: This is another top cafe in Bragg Creek. Great spot for coffee and snacks. More about Bragg Creek Coffee here
- Frontier Candy & Ice Cream – Head there for tasty candies and ice creams. This parlour is open all year round. More reviews and details here
Final Words on Bragg Creek Things to do
Bragg Creek makes for an easy day trip option from Calgary, with so many amazing things to do for nature and outdoor lovers. Don’t forget to add the culinary delights from this little town to your day trip itinerary.
More posts on Alberta
- Calgary Attractions: Fun things to do in Calgary
- Calgary: One day in Calgary itinerary
- Banff: Perfect Banff itinerary
- Banff Hikes: Epic hikes in Banff National Park
- Banff Airbnbs: Stay at one of these Banff Airbnbs
- Canadian Rockies: Canadian Rockies Road Trip Guide
- Edmonton: Guide to best restaurants in Edmonton